Gone are the days when the only place you would expect to find a barn door would be on grand-daddy’s farm. Welcome to age of innovation where style and design have created a unique solution to modern home décor.
Sliding Barn Door Pros vs Cons
Most barn doors have the option to either swing or slide but they probably include standard hardware like a sliding track or hinges. Depending on the size of your home, it’s generally a good idea to pick a larger space for installing the door. As room dividers go, the thickness and largeness of a barn door will serve you well if you require an interior function. If an exterior function is what you need, sliding barn doors can provide a somewhat mesmerizing passageway from kitchen to back yard, garage door to side door, or living room to swimming pool.
Some Pros of the Sliding Barn Door that Really Wow
- Perfect for lovers of the rustic dark wood/industrial feel the sliding mechanism can offer in contrast with a clean modern bathroom.
- With the size of the panels being on the larger size it can make for a quality room divider, perfect for a kitchen, dining room, or play area.
- With so many shapes, sizes, and colors available to you, finding the right décor for your door will be easy (see more at our Los Angles sliding doors showroom)
- No two barn doors are alike, so creativity and intuition will play a key role in finalizing your decision.
Barn Door Ideas
Pinterest offers an incredible way for you to get a glimpse into other people’s homes, offices, or spaces that can offer you a real look at what their sliding barn doors look like. This may go a lot further than browsing through the local hardware stores stock sample gallery. If you need a fresh burst of inspiration, consider the many diverse galleries a google image search can provide. Tumblr is also a superb way to get you motivated and excited on your search for the perfect sliding barn door. Just be prepared to have your creative juices start to flow in ways you could have never imagined!
Some Cons of the Barn Door to be Aware of
- These doors like, pocket doors, offer the least amount of noise insulation mainly due to the gaps between the door and the wall.
- Barn doors and the track it moves across are quite often on the more expensive side of the coin. There are methods to save money however if you opt for a DIY approach.
- If you don’t like an in your face design style consider a different door, and consider the track system as a potential trip hazard/eye sore.
- If space is tight remember that you will need a clear space for the door to slide over to when opening.
Educate yourself as much as possible before you settle for any door sliding or otherwise. Remember to use tools that help stimulate your imagination like Pin-trest or Tumblr. Make a list of all the qualities you like about the door and how it will complement the room or space you designate it for. Know whether your sliding barn door will function as an interior or exterior piece. Consider how much it will cost and whether you can save money by hiring a local carpenter to install it for you.